Thursday, December 4, 2008

Steez: Threadless


Okay, This is officially my last broad steez topic. After this I'm gonna be going through my wardrobe item by item listing shit I like. This is a really good one, and I'm excited to be writing about it.
Threadless is a dank as fuck website where aspiring art n00bs post up shirt designs and they are voted upon and the cream of the crop are produced. Sounds totally stupid right? Actually not the case. Threadless does a lot of innovative stuff using puff ink, glow in the dark, shiny gold ink, all kinds of crazy shit. They rose to prominence a few years ago, propelled largely by their ever popular, ever-present 'Communist Party' (you'll know it when you see it) shirt. I have that shirt, and wear it mainly because I look good in red. Actually, I have about 10 shirts from them and all of 'em have yielded some positve reactions, thus I am rating this as shit that will get you fucked.

The shirts are distinctive, limited run (so you feel like one in a thousand, not like one in ten) and all in all pretty cheap. I have been thinking off and on and on and off for the past year or so that my T-shirt wearing days are coming to an end, and that may be the case, but I always think I'll have a place for better lookin' threadless numbers. The "Select" shirts are a little bit pricier but some of them are brilliant. The "Type" Tees are universally horrible and should be avoided at all costs. I donno, something about shirts with ironic slogans on them just rubs me the wrong way. When I hear a great joke, I can't wait to tell it maybe once or twice to the few people who really appreciate it. Wearing a slogan shirt is like commiting to one joke that you'll be telling everyone all day everytime you wear the shirt. Whenever you make eye contact with a stranger it's like you're waiting for a laugh. Fuck that shit. This coming from a guy who owns a shirt with a picture of Shakespeare reading "Prose before Ho's, but I digress...

Still, I like threadless. More wearable than T-shirtHell.com, more soul than BustedTees, and cheaper than Detroit Sprinkles, Threadless has a little something special that feels organic. It's like what shopping in Whole Foods would feel like if there were only like 20 Whole Foods and you got the impression that maybe the owners knew what was going on in every store and the little touches had some thought in them, or as much thought as they can in a chain of 20 stores, which is a lot more than in the five hundred stores.

Why, in a previous post about my dank clae shooz, I posted a drawing of myself wearing a threadless shirt, so clearly I must think they're pretty ballin if I'm drawin 'em. Looking through my self portrait collection, I find several other examples of threadless shirts, like the one above. Every three months, they put out a shirt that I pretty much need, at least at the time, so I advise you to get on the mailing list, start looking, start voting on shirts, and start upping your shirt game.

Speaking of the Game, you just lost it.

No comments: