Friday, December 5, 2008

Culture: Whatever, I dig Kanye


So I read part of some article about what an arrogant douche Kanye West is and I gotta say, who cares?

Kanye's not my favorite rapper, that would have to be Immortal Technique, matter of fact, Kanye isn't even my favorite mainstream rapper, (Jay-Z) but he's pretty solid and he's distinctive from the other 90% of rap which, like 90% of all music is utter garbage. Kanye and I have a lot in common: We're both young wunderkinds in field, and we both appreciate women who "got more ass than the models." Thus, when I see me friend and colleauge being hated on in the Media (pronounced Mee-juh) I feel that it is my perogative to step in.

Anyway, the way I see, it's pretty much nbd that Kanye west thinks he's such hot shit. I mean, you can look at the transverse property and see him as saying he's bigger than the beatles when lennon said the beatles were bigger than Jesus, so therefore Kanye thinks he's bigger than Jesus but the reality is, who gives a shit. Everyone thinks they're better than everyone else. Prove me wrong.

The music you choose to listen to is based on your mood, and when you put on a song in which Kanye West is rapping about what a badass he is, it isn't because you feel like listening to some braggadocio talk about how rad he is, it's because you feel like a badass.

Generally, people listening to music put themselves in place of the I in the song, not the you. When you listen to Tom Petty sing, "I won't back down," you are thinking that you, the listener will not back down, not marveling on the steadfast Mr. Petty. So too in rap. When Kanye raps, "there's a thousand you's, there's only one of me/ so how the hell could you front on me" (excellent use of rhyming me with me, btw), you don't think of yourself as one of the thousand "you's" but rather as the primary "me."

The fact that this arrogance moves from his songs to his personal life is irrelevant-- it's just part of the show. This shit goes for everyone. I think it was hugely disappointing when John Lennon retracted or clarified his statement about being bigger than Jesus. If I were him, I would've just gone with it and been like, "No, yeah, I personally am more important than Jesus Christ, and those who worship HIM as their risen Lord and saviour (he was from England so he woulda spelled it that way) should begin worshiping me instead."

TL;DR-- leeeeeeeeeeeeeeave Kanye alooooooooooone

No comments: