Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Simple Things in Life

I've sipped hundred dollar champagne, eaten fine Prime Rib, hobnobbed with the stars high atop the roofs of Beverly Hills. I've traveled across this land, and visited the offices of higher learning, been told by great scholars that my prose is among the best. I've walked the halls of California's greatest ad agencies as an equal, seen my work produced by billion dollar companies. I've heard crowds cheer me on as a champion athlete, scoring one for the home team. I've looked deep into the eyes of the woman I love, and seen that love, and profound longing reflected back at me, held her in my arms, stared up at a sky full of stars, and contemplated the infinite potential of man. I've stood atop mountain peaks, dwelt deep in forests, relying on myself and finding myself worthy. I have had, in quiet and reflective moments, read the works of great authors, and understood them as if they were my own. I have seen seen respect and wonder in the eyes of a child, and drunk and laughed with commoners and captains of industry. Once I saw Neil Patrick Harris at a party in Culver City. I have known the best life has to offer, and yet, there is nothing quite like popping a really spectacular zit.

No comments: