Monday, February 23, 2009

Ad Stuff: Facebook is a fucking dead zone.

Being that I’m an ad man, and that I’m currently sitting in a boring as balls marketing class, thinking that they should probably just have me teach this shit, I’ve decided to drop some fucking knol on you.

While this should be blindingly obvious to anyone who uses the service, I have a brilliant marketing tidbit:

facebook apps are dead as fucking dead.

I wouldn’t have thought this needed to be clarified, given the tremendous backlash against crappy zombie v. ninja games, but every time I talk to Internet marketers, they invariably suggest making a facebook app.

“I don’t know,” they say, “facebook is getting big—let’s try that.”

Sometimes this comes in a professional setting, sometimes in class, but whenever I hear it I cringe.

The much maligned, “New Facebook,” released last summer, shoved a bunch of the silly shit to the back page, which nobody fucking ever looks at. Even Burger King’s brilliant campaign came a little too late to be worthwhile. Oh fucking well., except for a few rare cases, it makes the brand look shitty and awkward.

If you wanna advertise on facebook, have them give away a ‘gift’ in the name of your product or brand. Gifts are these crappy like half-inch .gif squares that you can send to people. It’s sort of like the original facebook application, and one of the few that remains on the front page and, more importantly, everybody has access to it. Originally, facebook charged you $1 for these, later they decided it would be smarter to charge you 100 points, with each point equaling one penny. This allows them to charge 300 points, or 3 fucking dollars for something even more worthless than a greeting card. Sound like bullshit? It is, but that doesn’t matter. It’s infinitely more worthwhile.


looks like profit to me:

No comments: